NEW KENT MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETIC POLICY
Kelley Gray, Principal * Frank Wheeler, Assistant Principal * Laurie Weaver, Athletic Director
The overall objective of the athletic program at New Kent Middle School is to provide an opportunity for student participation in properly supervised activities under the guidelines set by the Virginia High School League and the New Kent County School Board.
1. New Kent Middle School students must pass and submit a completed Physicians Certificate and Parental Consent Form as required by the Virginia High School League before trying out for an athletic team.
2. A completed Emergency Care Card (Blue Card) must be returned to the coach or athletic director.
3. All participants must be protected by school insurance or have personal insurance that will cover any athletic injury.
4. New Kent Middle School students are expected to make every effort to attend all scheduled practices and games. Any athlete who is at school should be at practice. It is also mandatory that a student be at school for a half day to be eligible to practice or compete that day, or he/she must have special approval from the athletic director. Family emergencies and illnesses are always excused; however, they may require documentation. Remediation or extra work in school is also excused. If the occasion arises in which an athlete will have to miss a practice or game for a reason that was not listed above, it must be arranged in advance with the head coach and approved by him or her. If this absence is approved, the consequence will be missing a minimum of one period of the next game for each missed practice. For a missed game, the athlete will not be allowed to play in the next game. Continual absences or failure to get prior approval for absences from the head coach will result in a meeting with the athletic director to review the situation and determine how specific violations of this policy will be handled.
5. Profanity and other forms of inappropriate conduct will not be tolerated. Students who exhibit this type of behavior during a game will be removed immediately from the game and will not be allowed to re-enter. The coach and athletic director will discipline students who exhibit this type of behavior during practice.
6. Students should be courteous to visiting teams and officials.
7. The integrity and judgment of the officials and their decisions should be respected without question.
8. Students should treat the facilities of the host school with respect, as they are guests there.
9. All New Kent Middle School students must be transported to away athletic events on buses or in cars provided by the school board. All team personnel must return to the school in the same manner. EXCEPTION: - Team personnel may ride home with their parents or the parents of another team member (with a parental permission note). The coach in charge must be notified in either case. Any student who does not ride home from a game on the school bus must be signed out by their parent on a sign-out sheet provided by the coach.
10. No student will be allowed to leave the area of an athletic event (home or away) without the approval of the coach.
11. New Kent Middle School students will be responsible for uniforms and equipment issued to them and must return these items within three (3) days after the conclusion of their season. Students will be charged for missing equipment/uniforms and will not be allowed to participate in other sports until their account is paid in full or equipment /uniforms are returned.
12. Playing Middle School Sports is not a right but a privilege!!!
1. All students must have passed five subjects(year long) the previous semester and must currently be enrolled in not less than five (5) subjects.
2. All students must have at least a 1.7 grade point average for the previous semester.
SCHOOL WIDE DISCIPLINE POLICY
1. Referral -will not start or participate in part of the game / match..
2. Each day of ISS - will not participate in 1/2 game, minimum
3. Each day of OS: - will not participate in a full game
4. 5 or more days of OSS - Dismissal from team
5. Chronic discipline problems - cumulative totals for games missed will be kept during each sports season and a player will be dismissed from the team when his/her total reaches three games.
The spectator should
realize that he/she represents the school just as definitely as does the member of the team and, therefore, has an obligation to be a true sportsman, encouraging through his/her behavior the practice of good sportsmanship by others.
recognize that good sportsmanship is more important than victory by approving and applauding good team play, individual skill and outstanding examples of sportsmanship and fair play exhibited by either team.
recognize the primary purpose of interscholastic athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social, and emotional
well-being of the players through the medium of contests; victory/defeat is of secondary importance.
treat visiting teams and officials as guests, extending to them every courtesy.
be modest in victory and gracious in defeat.
respect the judgment and integrity of officials.
Parents and supporters of New Kent County Athletics must realize that any interference with the game or participants of the game (athletes, coaches, and officials) can result in disciplinary action taken by the New Kent County Schools, the Bay Rivers District League, and/or the Virginia High School League. Such actions may be taken against our athletes, our teams, and/or parent-spectators. Acceptable and appropriate sportsmanship is a fundamental component of our athletic program that must be ensured.
Do not approach coaches during or after any practice or team competition. Playing time will not be discussed.
If there is a concern to discuss with the coach, the steps to be taken are as follows:
Athlete should talk to the coach
Parent should set up a meeting with the coach
Parent may contact the Athletic Director to set up an appointment to discuss concerns.
The signatures on the Athletic Pledge also indicate that the student-athlete and his/her parent/guardian have been advised that participation in interscholastic practice and competition can be dangerous. Furthermore, it is understood that no amount of protective equipment will eliminate potential injury. Even under the safest and most secure conditions, some athletic activity can result in serious, and possibly fatal, injuries. If a student-athlete exhibits unusual symptoms, he or she should immediately stop playing and report these conditions to the coach, athletic trainer, and his/her parents. The student-athlete must not return to a game or practice until all symptoms are eliminated and the athlete has received medical clearance. Ignoring this warning may lead to more serious or fatal injury. Remember, anyone deciding to compete in the New Kent County Schools Athletic Program does so with clear understanding of the risk of injury. Additional questions about such risk should be directed to the coach or athletic director prior to participation in practice or competition.
New Kent County Schools Athletic Pledge:
By signing this pledge, the New Kent County Schools student-athlete and his/her parent/guardian affirms they have read and fully understand, comprehend and agree to comply with and adhere to all the rules, regulations, and expectations listed in this New Kent Middle School Athletic Policy.
The signatures on the Pledge Sign-Off Sheet also indicate that the athlete and parent(s) agree that the athlete will attend all practices and games in which his/her middle school athletic team participates. This implies that the middle school team’s activities take precedent over any club, recreational, or non-school events.
New Kent Athletics Pledge Sign–Off Sheet
I have read and understand that my student-athlete and I are responsible for upholding the guidelines set forth in this policy. We understand that sportsmanship and academics are the cornerstones of a successful student-athlete. We agree to abide by these guidelines and rules.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Name Printed
Student-Athlete Signature Date
Student-Athlete Name Printed
LET THE PLAYERS PLAY
LET THE COACHES COACH
LET THE OFFICIALS OFFICIATE